The SKC Institutional Review Board Website is undergoing a redesign. We will have the appropriate resources published and available as soon as possible. For IRB questions please contact:
Below is the information necessary for understanding Ethical Research Practices
All researchers proposing research activities involving human subjects OR the cultural or other resources of the Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes are required to undergo training in ethical research practices before their proposed research will be reviewed by the SKC IRB. All researchers and research associates who are named on the SKC IRB Protocol must submit a certification of completion of training in ethical research practices.
Training in Human Subjects Protection is valid for three years from the date of completion.
Salish Kootenai College subscribes to the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI).
The website for training is:
Registration and Course Completion Information
Each course is comprised of modules. Review of the required materials and completion of the quizzes will take about 20-30 minutes per module, and between 3 and 6 hours to complete the entire training. You do not have to complete the course all in one session. A cumulative score of 80% is required to pass.
- If you are affiliated with another institution, you may submit a scanned or printed copy of the CITI Completion report.
- If you have a certificate from another Human Subjects Protection course, please contact the IRB Administrator (email@example.com) or the IRB chair (firstname.lastname@example.org) to clarify the acceptability of other forms of training.
- If you are affiliated with Salish Kootenai College (faculty, staff, student), and have previously registered with CITI, you may log-in and continue or update your training. If you have not previously “affiliated” with Salish Kootenai College, use the “Select Your Organization Affiliation” box to record your training completion for the SKC IRB.
- If you are affiliated with Salish Kootenai College (faculty, staff, student) and are a new user:
- Click on the Register” button in the “Create an Account” box or log in us
- Create a username and password
- Start typing “Salish Kootenai College” in the “Select Your Organization Affiliation” box and select it when it appears.
- Enter in your “Personal Information” section in the following page.
- Create your Username and Password in the following page.
- Answer the questions about your gender, ethnicity, and race in the following page.
- Answer “No” in the Continuing Education Unit (CEU) credit question.
- You can also use the “View Instructions” page to review the process for enrolling in the training.
- The next page is Select Curriculum with CITI Course Enrollment Procedures.
- Near the bottom is the heading CITI Course Enrollment Questions. Identify your training needs:
Question 1: Select whether you are an IRB Member, a Social/Behavioral Research Investigator, or requesting only a cultural review.
Question 2: Check this box ONLY if you are an IRB administrator.
Question 3: Select whether you are a Social and Behavioral Research or a Physical Sciences Researcher. At SKC, Life Sciences and Natural Resources Researchers should choose the “Physical Sciences” category.
- On the next page you will be able to begin the training.
- Complete the Integrity Assurance Statement – in blue – prior to initiating the learning modules.
- Your courses are prescribed by the SKC IRB, although your can choose between several courses as options. The required and optional modules are listed, along with acceptable scores. Each module will take from 15 to 30 minutes to complete, with an associated quiz. It is estimated the entire training will take 3 to 6 hours, depending on your previous understanding of the material.
- PRINT the final report to attach to your IRB proposal.
- Complete the required modules and associated quizzes, achieving an aggregate score of 80%. A running tally is compiled in a grade book. If you want to improve a score on a quiz or have not achieved the minimum-required score of 80%, you may repeat it.
- When you complete all of the required modules successfully, you may print your completion report through the “Print” link on the learners menu. A copy of the report will be automatically sent to SKC’s Institutional Review Board, which will maintain a record of your completion.